This year’s Big Read title is Cynthia Ozick’s The Shawl and the companion novella Rosa. The title was selected in recognition of the 75th anniversary of Kristallnacht, the time when the world became only too aware of Hitler’s intentions toward the Jews.
Join us for a month-long discussion of hope, despair, and survival in a pivotal era in human history. More information, including a full calendar of events can be found in the latest issue of The Rotunda (see the link above).
Check-out these useful links concerning this year’s Big Read:
- to find a copy of the book on local libraries, click here
- a PDF of the brochure with the entire program line-up can be found in the library starting in mid-September or by clicking here
- to register for any Big Read program, click here
- to enter the Young Writers contest, click here
- to enter the Dutchess County Historical Society writing contest, click here
- for a list of 2013 Little Read book recommendations, click here
The Big Read is a program of the National Endowment for the Arts designed to revitalize the role of literature in American culture. The Big Read brings together partners across the country to encourage citizens to read for pleasure and enlightenment.